Friday, March 14, 2008

Then and now



Gone are the days where it was an event to go and watch a film. Nowadays movies are as accessible as sliced bread. Not only can we hire movies to watch on DVD but we can also download them onto our computers, cell phones and ipods.

my boyfriend recently attained the new nokia n95 8g which comes with the Spiderman 3 movie loaded onto it. This to me seems slightly over the top why would anyone want to watch a feature film on a tiny screen but then again that’s just my opinion. It seems to me that technology is no more about making life easier or more simple for us but simply about make the latest and coolest thing that will appeal to the target market. I mean really how many people are going to sit and watch a 2hour movie on there cell phones???

Obviously I am one of very few who share the same view, as N95's and other phones with similar functions are selling like hot cakes. I must admit I too own an N95, but I never watch movies on mine or make much use of its other brilliant features, I bought it for its excellent camera which I make use of constantly. But I can’t help but wonder do we indulge in these gadgets simply because we want to be able to boast that we have the latest and coolest gadget?





Has this innovation had a positive or negative affect on the film industry? One could argue either way.

1 comment:

Chipo Tazvishaya said...

I agree with you that i would never sit and watch a 2hr movie on a tiny screen. Movie watching has really changed, it is no longer regarded as an important event,it has become a part of typical contemporary life.